Thursday, September 30, 2010

BP1 - Google Reader

Hi fellow EMDT bloggers!  I am SO overwhelmed right now with all the different applications for Web 2.0, and all the blogs that are so awesome that I can subscribe to and read.  I could hardly choose what to include for this first blog assignment.  So, I decided to start at one of my favorite sites, which is http://www.gotoweb2.0.net.  This site is really HUGE, so I’ll just point to the portion of the site I am following, which is the online blogging tools section.  My description of that plus other sites I am following is below:


Go2Web2.0 – Blogging – Online Tools and Applications

This site, and this particular part of it is fascinating because I can click on the different icons and read about what each of the little tools does.  I am not new to blogging, but I am new, new, new to the Web 2.0 tools.  I thought this site would really help me to understand some of the nuances and intricacies of the Web 2.0 applications and tools.  This ‘blogging’ section is fascinating.  It has different tools to help you write one blog and have it publish on ALL your blogs.  How cool is that?  I also liked their travel blogger tools, which help you to create your own travel blog.  There are so many tools on this page that I really can’t talk about them all, but I’ll say a bit more before moving on to the next site I will be following.  On this blogging tool site there is a neat tool for helping you learn how to write better emails and blogs (this sounds interesting and helpful!).  I also found another application that allows you to create a mini-mobile blog (I guess for the smart phone users).  This is a really nice page, and following it will help me to stay up on what types of tools are out there and being created to help my blogging go from so-so to second nature!

Here’s a quick screen shot of the Web 2.0 Blogging Tools Page page:


Reinventing Project-Based Learning

One of my teammates (Team Digital Horizon) here at FSO alerted me to this really amazing site.  This blog has a subtitle, which reads “Your Field Guide to Real-World Projects in the Digital Age.”  This immediately grabbed my attention because I am very interested in all sorts of projects, well, reading about them anyway, because someday I would like to teach, and, there is always a chance I might find something relevant to my Action Research project as I read.  I think the importance of learning what is out there and available for teaching tools and information is paramount at this point.  As part of my journey into EMDT, I have made a ‘contract’ with myself to look for, find, and read about as much educational technology that I can get my eyeballs on!  On this site, which I have bookmarked, and plan to definitely follow (when I can figure out how to follow it), the authors give lots of information on different projects teachers can engage their students with, among other things.  What impressed me about this site was how many excellent, relevant links the authors supply, such as podcasts about digital-age projects, group discussions in Second Life, presentations, and webinars.  There is so much content on this site that I have barely scratched the surface.  Isn’t the Internet wonderful for how much technology information we can find?

5 Ways to Build your 1.0 and 2.0 Personal Learning Network

Wow.  The Techlearning site is a real ‘find’ as far as I am concerned.  I love this newsletter/blog/technology site.  The article I have given the title for at the top is what I have read today, but I plan to read something every day from this site now that I have clicked the follow and share on it.  Lisa Nielsen wrote the article about Personal Learning Networks, and it is fascinating!  I am hooked on this and I think it will really help me to find out about what is going on in technology education all around the globe.  This ‘global’ idea of connecting people and education, and their passions is so miraculous to me.  It is fabulous for teachers to be able to publish what is going on in their classrooms.  My friend and teammate, Patricia Ort does something similar to this, I believe.  I think if we are going to be the best and most technologically savvy teachers out there, we need to study what is happening at other innovative schools and their technology programs.  Lisa blogs about joining social networking sites such as Facebook, etc. like we are doing for our FSO assignments, which sort compounds the importance of networking as well.  I’m definitely keeping this RSS handy!

Classroom 2.0
            http://www.classroom20.com/



My friends and teammates Pat and Holly both are members of this website.  I have also joined it recently, and am following the RSS feeds from this amazing site. This site is really all about using Web 2.0 and social media in education, which is one of the areas we are all about in our EMDT program here at Full Sail!  I can’t believe how many different places you can go from this site, it is just massive to say the least!  Just after joining I started clicking around and reading different teacher posts.  I love how many technology teachers are blogging and talking about how they are integrating technology into their classrooms!  It is just beyond exciting for me to read all the great information.  I also really appreciate and like the group area, where you can look for groups to join that might share your interests.  Teachers give links to so many resources we can use for integrating technology, or just learning about what technology is available out there for the classroom.  I think I might get so lost in this site and just keep reading and reading and reading!  Well, actually, that is a good thing isn’t it? Wow.  I am impressed…

Eide Neurolearning Blog- Just the Facts, M'aam - Creativity in Fact Lovers
http://eideneurolearningblog.blogspot.com/2005_06_14_eideneurolearningblog_archive.html

I stumbled upon this blog almost by accident!  I like to browse the brain-based learning and even the multiple intelligences sort of articles and blogs.  I have developed an interest in particular to the brain-based learning ideas after the MLT course where we read the Eric Jensen book.  This neurolearning blog explores different facets and ideas about brain-based learning.  I will be really interested to read their weekly posts.  I have this bookmarked on my iGoogle pages and will be a follower for sure.  The author talks quite a bit about Isaac Asimov, and what a 'fact aficionado' he was.  I like trivia and facts myself, so I don't feel quite as nerdy and geeky after reading this blog!  Fancy that!  I think it truly is a gift to be able to organize interesting facts in different ways.  I suppose that is why we all have different types and levels of creativity after all.  I have the feeling this isn't going to be the only brain-based learning blog I will be subscribing to when all is said and done.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your post really has a lot of meat to it! What great sites. I'm so glad you shared these. By the way, my comment will say I'm Trisha, but this is Pat. I had my iGoogle account from a while ago and that is the name associated with it :-)
    I love your layout, too. Your blog is very visually appealing, but no surprise there!

    ReplyDelete