Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Week 1 Reading: Copyright Issues

Photo "Takamine Dangerous" by Zoe Marlowe

Copyright, as many people in my Media Assets Creation (MAC) course which just started this Monday, May 2, have posted and commented, is really a super 'hot topic' isn't it?  I didn't realize that the length or duration of copyright is 'lifetime plus around 70 years.'  Our instructor mentions this in one of the videos we watched for this week's discussion topic of copyright.  

I have a little experience in my own copyright issues.  I have personally filed around 10 form PA Copyright forms at the Library of Congress for several musical compositions I created in the 1980s.  At the time I was not aware that I could have just recorded my tunes and then sent in the tape or whatever digital media.  I went to the trouble of having a transcriber write charts for my songs, as my ability to write down notes and musical notation is weak, and then I sent copies of those charts or 'lead sheets' in to the Library of Congress.  I still have the original form PA's that were sent back to me approved for copyright by the L of C.  

Later on I published a poetry anthology and had to do something similar,  although it was a slightly different form than the original music form PA I used in the 1980s.  So, it is an interesting area to study and think about all the 'copyrights and copy wrongs' while we are in this course creating our media assets for our Action Research Projects.

Sources:
Wimba, May 3, 2011 with Joe Bustillos
Personal experience with copyright

3 comments:

  1. Zoe, do you have any of your music registered with publishing companies like BMI or ASCAP? What about international copyright to your music (just asking because you are British)? And while we’re on the topic…are their companies like BMI or ASCAP in the UK that do the same kind of work and collect the same kind of royalties for music artists in the UK? Since my husband is a small INDIE artist, we’ve found that when you’re just starting in the US, it’s not worth pushing for any of your royalties until you’re getting substantial playing time. Otherwise, the radio stations will just take you off the air because it’s not financially worth it. But once your music becomes popular, it’s worth pursuing the royalties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe, I want to self-publish some short stories I've written. It sounds like you have already navigated the copyright turf a bit. How much does the process cost? How long does it take to obtain the copyright? How do copyright laws work when you publish online? I am looking mainly to online publishing, but something about digital makes me feel vulnerable to loss of revenue. How does copyright protect me from digital theft? Maybe you know the answers to this stuff, or maybe you can send me in the right direction to get some answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bruce and Joanna,

    Joanna, I answered your question on the blog page that we originally did this work on, sorry. I didn't realize I could do this as well...

    Bruce, good questions, not sure I have all the answers but, here goes. In 2005 I published a poetry anthology and had to fill out the necessary copyright form for the LIbrary of Congress, it cost me about $35.00 if I am not mistaken. I don't remember getting a copy of the form back from that. I am sure if I did I just have filed it somewhere. On the songs I sent in, however, they sent me back a copy of the form stamped and the whole nine yards. Those songs cost me about $25.00 bucks per song to register, but that was in the 1980s. Who knows what they charge now, but I'd look up the forms at the Library of Congress on the web. I am sure they will have all the info you are asking. That's about all I know about this subject...thanks for asking to both of you!

    ReplyDelete